Friday, May 28, 2010

Let's Try This Again...Only This Time Gluten Free

It's been a long road, but after many doctor's appointments and a new clinical nutritionist, whom we love, we finally found out that I have an allergy to gluten. So, we are on a new journey to learn how to live gluten free! We've already learned a few things:

1. Gluten free items can be really yummy :)
2. Gluten free products cost double the price and come with half the amount of food :(
3. Several restaurants have gluten free menu items, in fact, BJs has gluten free pizza!

I'm excited to try a new way of living! We've only begun to search through the various websites and cookbooks for gluten free recipes, and I already feel so encouraged :)

Get ready for some tasty recipes to be posted...



4 comments:

  1. Hey.. Have you tried Quinoa? It's gluten free and can be really yummy if you mix it with veggies and add some lemon juice and stuff. I'm glad you figured out what was going on. Hopefully you'll start feeling so great the inconveniences of gluten free living won't be as annoying. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, first of all I'm SO GLAD you started a blog!! Secondly, my Mom has celiac disease and has been gluten-free for about 10 years now. I've learned a lot about and had some really delicious stuff. It's actually a really healthy diet and not as restricting as it might seem. Let's chat about it more! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want, my pastor is gluton free and I can ask them where they bought some bread that they rave about. They said most gluten-free breads are heavy, but this one is like "real bread" - all I know is his wife drives 30 minutes to buy it. =) Trader Joes has really good flourless brownies too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy - Do tell? I like the rice bread, but it is really heavy :(

    Sarah - I thought of you and your mom right away when I was diagnosed! I remember you telling me how much your mom had to pursue her doctor to get answers and I took that with me! I had to practically harass my doctor, but I love the clinical nutritionist I'm seeing :)

    Andrea - No Quinoa for me, but I am willing to try all new things! Thanks for the suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete