Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Fern Gully



Ok, who remembers the Disney movie from the nineties, 'Fern Gully?' If your memory is failing you, please watch this trailer to be reminded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsIzcyYcuR4

Now, I don't know about you other children of the 80s, but I remember watching this movie and trembling in fear afterward. They show you a beautiful rain forest, where creature and human are friend, and fairies really do exist. I mean, I am loving any movie that encourages the existence of fairies! To the point Paula. Only after they lure you in with the beautiful scenery, they come and chop down the forest tree by tree. I. Was. Traumatized.

My parents told me it was just a movie and movies aren't real. Well guess what...I am living Fern Gully right now. I know this isn't much of a blog entry, but I needed to share with everyone the devastation that is occurring right outside my office! Biola is building our new Talbot, our School of Theology, and in the process, several trees are being cut down. (See picture.) As I type this, I can see trees falling to the ground in the reflection of my computer screen. I can hear the cries of baby birds and insects as their homes are destroyed, and the sound of Vanessa Williams voice asking the tree cutter downers how high the sycamore will grow, and if they cut it down, they'll never know.

Anyway. They're just trees, right? More will be planted. I know I am supposed to believe that, but the average oak tree takes 10-15 years to grow. It just makes me sad. It makes me sad people! Do you care about the trees or am I dramatic?

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! Those trees took a very long time to get to that point. At a minimum they should try to dig them up and re-plant them somewhere. I had forgotten about Fern Gully- thanks for the blast from the past. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a blog?! Yea!! Can't wait to keep reading about the Shermans! -beth

    ReplyDelete